Thursday, September 27, 2007

Re-Creation


Okay--so far no takers on a name for the service. So I thought I would start the creative juices flowing with a reflection on the name I choose for this blog: "Re-creation"
Re-Creation -- to create anew or again. We use the word to mean have fun, amuse ourselves, play team sports or video games. But at the heart of all this fun is the importance of taking time away from work to allow God to re-create us. This is what Sabbath should do -- it should allow a space for God to continue God's creative work within us.
As I think about a new service at Trinity to reach 20-somethings or simply other people that our traditional and contemporary services don't reach, I believe we are talking about an opportunity for God to re-create how we do worship at Trinity. But not only that, my prayer is that whatever we do will allow a place for God to resurrect/re-create lives through worship, study, and service. And finally, (and this came out of a discussion about the service with Brad) I think this service should have a good dose of fun involved with it. Now I don't mean it will be a spectator sport but rather a community that works, plays and worships together--a family and let's face it the family that plays and prays together is the family that stays together.
Now I don't know if this should be our name, but it surely reflects my thinking about what we need to do with this service.
What do you think?

No comments: